Monday, March 29, 2021

Eucalyptys Tangle, Revisited


8 x 8" oil and cold wax medium on panel
To say I have been in a slump would be an understatement. Posting this undoubtedly is premature, but as a way back, I'm trying a new medium. Even after getting a how-to book and supplies, I was paralyzed by uncertainty and fear-of-failure for a week. Finally settled on re-working an earlier unsuccessful painting. I'm not sure that was the best choice, but I think I improved it a bit, and I did learn. 

The wax basically turns oil paint into stiff, matte, pastel-like paste. Unless you add a lot of medium like Galkyd or Liquin, it doesn't blend much when applied. The benefits of this are that colors stay clean, and it basically forces you to work in layers. The textures and mark-making are intriguing new components.

No comments:

Post a Comment