Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Back in the book business

The Rainforest Grew All Around, illustrated in 2006, became Arbordale Publishing's top-selling book. For a decade, I've had the idea of doing something similar with the coast redwoods. In the meantime, a couple of kids' books on this subject have published. None are exactly what I had in mind, so this month I finally submitted a manuscript.

After 30 years that included13 books, I thought my illustrating days were over; but never say "never." If all goes well, The Forest that Lives in the Trees will release in 2019, and for the first time I'll also be the author. Both books are cumulative verse, but instead of "The Green Grass Grew All Around," mine is based on "The House that Jack Built" and focuses on the micro-forest high in the redwood canopy.

"Deep in the woods near a foggy sea,
There’s a hidden forest that lives in the trees..."

Time to dust off the watercolor brushes.


No comments:

Post a Comment